Tips to Help Prevent the Common ColdNovember 8, 2018
Facts on Spider and Varicose VeinsFebruary 15, 2019
Having a cough is irritating – both to your body and to your daily routine. If there is no chance you can call out sick from work, here are some tips to help you get through your day despite feeling under the weather.
- Stay hydrated. Drink water, juice, broth and/or other clear liquids throughout the day. This will help your immune system stay strong while it is fighting the illness. Staying hydrated also helps loosen mucus and it replaces fluids lost while blowing your nose. Refrain from caffeinated drinks (such as coffee, sodas, and energy drinks). While a hot toddy is tempting to indulge in once you’ve clocked out and gone home, alcohol is a no-no when it comes to being sick because it can cause dehydration.
- Have some ice. Ice can help soothe a sore throat while also keeping you hydrated.
- Take a saline spray to work with you. This will help clear a stuffy nose and will also loosen mucus while rinsing your sinuses.
- Have backup sources of relief with you. This includes cough drops, throat spray, cough suppressants, etc. The drops and spray will help ease the pain of having a sore throat while the suppressant will help your body resist the urge to cough. If you have a fever and your body aches, take acetaminophen, ibuprofen, or naproxen as directed.
- Don’t smoke. Do not smoke and do not put yourself in an environment where there will be smoking while you are sick. This can further irritate your nose, throat, and lungs.